The Enneagram of Personality is a model of human personality which is principally understood and taught as a typology of nine interconnected personality types. First, a couple of key terms:
Integration – When they feel more secure and in control of a situation. When they are healthy.
Disintegration – When they are under increased stress and pressure— when they feel they are not in control of the situation. When they are unhealthy.
Wings – One of the two types adjacent to it on the circumference of the Enneagram.
Final Fantasy VII Character’s Enneagram Personality Types
As Type One, Vincent Valentine is principled, purposeful, self-controlled, and perfectionistic.
- Vincent’s basic fear: Of being corrupt/evil, defective.
- Vincent’s basic desire: To be good and have integrity.
- When Vincent is healthy, he is extremely principled. He always wants to be fair, objective, and ethical: truth and justice primary values. We see this in Vincent as a Turk. These values are what have him run afoul of the unethical Hojo.
- When Vincent is unhealthy, he becomes obsessive about imperfection and the wrong-doing of others. Although he may fall into contradictory actions, hypocritically doing the opposite of what he preached. Vincent despises Professor Hojo for his immoral actions.
Vincent identifies well with Yuffie when he is healthy. Her fun personality balances nicely with Vincent’s dark, brooding demeanor (to the point where he can tolerate her).
Vincent identifies well with Cloud when he is unhealthy. Both are fairly self-loathing, looking for forgiveness, redemption and an identity.
Vincent’s Wings are both 2 and 9. He incorporates the characters of both Aerith (a Dreamer) and Tifa (an Idealist) to balance his personality.
As Type Two, Tifa Lockhart is demonstrative, generous, people-pleasing, and possessive. Tifa is a hard worker and spends her time caring for everyone but herself.
- Tifa’s basic fear: Of being unworthy of love.
- Tifa’s basic desire: To feel loved.
- When Tifa is healthy, she is empathetic, compassionate, thoughtful, warm-hearted, forgiving and sincere. Tifa helps Cloud in his soul-searching to find himself while reminding the other party members to “be strong.”
- When Tifa is unhealthy, she can be manipulative and self-serving. Tifa conceals this information while trying to figure out the reason behind Cloud’s different character and inconsistent memories.
Tifa identifies well with Cloud when she is healthy. She is very supportive of Cloud, with the hopes that a relationship may form.
Tifa identifies well with Barret when she is unhealthy. When Tifa heals after the Nibelheim incident, she meets Barret who also has an unhealthy obsession with hating Shinra. She became the owner and proprietor of the bar and restaurant 7th Heaven, which houses AVALANCHE.
Tifa’s Wings are both 1 and 3. She incorporates the characters of both Vincent (an Advocate) and Cait Sith (a Charmer) to balance her personality.
As Type Three, Cait Sith is adaptive, excelling, driven, and image-conscious.
- Cait Sith’s basic fear: Of being worthless.
- Cait Sith’s basic desire: To feel valuable and worthwhile.
- When Cait Sith is healthy, he ambitious to improve himself, to be “the best he can be”. “Thank you for believing in me…”, “I can protect the Planet too!”
- When Cait Sith is unhealthy, he is cowardly and a poor fighter. He can be loud and irritate others. He is devious and deceptive to cover up his wrongdoings.
Cait Sith identifies well with Cid when he is healthy. Both work for Shinra in a sense and wish to do something great.
Cait Sith identifies well with Aerith when he is unhealthy. Both of them wish to make themselves useful to the party, even if through the Ultimate Sacrifice…kinda.
Cait Sith’s Wings are both 2 and 4. He incorporates the characters of both Tifa (a host/hostess) and Cloud (a Aristocrat) to balance his personality.
As Type Four Cloud Strife is expressive, dramatic, self-absorbed, and temperamental.
- Cloud’s basic fear: That he has no identity or personal significance.
- Cloud’s basic desire: To find himself and his significance (to create an identity).
- When Cloud is healthy, he is self-aware, introspective, on the “search for self,” aware of feelings and inner impulses. The true Cloud cares about his bonds with his friends.
- When Cloud is unhealthy, Cloud is a somber character. When dreams fail, become self-inhibiting and angry at self, depressed and alienated from self and others, blocked and emotionally paralyzed.
Cloud identifies well with Vincent when he is healthy. Cloud admits he thought Vincent does not care about the Planet. Vincent states that is just how he is and apologizes for the false impression.
Cloud identifies well with Tifa when he is unhealthy. Cloud had no close friends; perhaps as a coping mechanism, he convinced himself he was superior to the other village children. He had a crush on Tifa, but hated her friends, calling them immature.
Cloud’s Wings are both 3 and 5. He incorporates the characters of both Cait Sith (a Professional) and Red XIII (an Iconoclast) to balance his personality.
As Type Five, Red XIII is perceptive, innovative, secretive, and isolated. He is polite, curious and observant, with something of a distaste for humans. He is intelligent and knows much about the Planet.
- Red XIII’s basic fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable.
- Red XIII’s basic desire: To be capable and competent.
- When Red XIII is healthy, he is observant of everything with extraordinary perceptiveness and insight. His intelligence and conscience make it difficult for him to live as an animal. But his animal appearance and qualities make him seem as such by humans who disregard his humanizing traits.
- When Red XIII is unhealthy, he is highly unstable and fearful of aggression. He rejects and repulses others and all social attachments. Prey to gross distortions and phobias. A void begins to grow in his heart which he dubs “Gilligan”.
Red XIII identifies well with Barrett when he is healthy. Like Barret, Red XIII has learned a lot from Cosmo Canyon about the Planet and his place in it.
Red XIII identifies well with Yuffie when he is unhealthy. She always picks on him, and he must be a masochist to put up with her ;p
Red XIII’s Wings are both 4 and 6. He incorporates the characters of both Cloud (a Bohemian) and Cid (a Defender) to balance his personality.
As Type Six, Cid Highwind is engaging, responsible, anxious, and suspicious.
- Cid’s basic fear: Of being without support (Shera) and guidance.
- Cid’s basic desire: To have security and support.
- When Cid is healthy, he is able to elicit strong emotional responses from others: very appealing, endearing, lovable, affectionate. We can tell this from his speeches. Dedicated to individuals and movements in which he deeply believes. Cid finds a new perspective towards the party’s goal to save the Planet, ruminating: “This planet is a little kid. A little kid sick and trembling in the middle of this huge universe. Someone’s gotta protect it. Ya follow me? That someone is us!”
- When Cid is unhealthy, he is highly divisive, disparaging and berating others. Fearing that he have ruined their security, he become panicky, volatile, and self-disparaging with acute inferiority feelings. For example, Cid is crude but kindhearted. His attitude and foul language are an effect of him losing his dream of spaceflight. He remains angry over missing out on his dream, though he sacrificed it deliberately to save Shera.
Cid identifies well with Aerith when he is healthy. Once finding his purpose, Cid (like Aerith) devotes himself to the cause.
Cid identifies well with Cait Sith when he is unhealthy. In that both want to strive for something more, but something’s in the way.
Cid’s Wings are both 5 and 7. He incorporates the characters of both Red XIII (a Problem Solver) and Yuffie (an Entertainer) to balance his personality.
As Type Seven, Yuffie Kisaragi is spontaneous, versatile, distractible, and scattered.
- Yuffie’s basic fear: Deprived and in pain.
- Yuffie’s basic desire: Satisfaction and contentment — to have their needs fulfilled.
- When Yuffie is healthy, she is lively, vivacious, eager, spontaneous, resilient, cheerful. Yuffie is clever and cunning, and not averse to heroics.
- When Yuffie is unhealthy, she is desperate to quell her anxieties,. She can be impulsive and infantile, not knowing when to stop. We can see this in Yuffie’s side quest in Wutai where she desperately tries to steal all of the Materia.
Yuffie identifies well with Red XII when she is healthy. She likes messing with him.
Yuffie identifies well with Vincent when she is unhealthy. She finds his darkest side mysterious.
Yuffie’s Wings are both 6 and 8. She incorporates the characters of both Cid (a Buddy) and Barret (a Maverick) to balance her personality.
As Type Eight, Barrett Wallace is self-confident, decisive, willful, and confrontational.
- Barrett’s basic fear: Harm or control by others.
- Barrett’s basic desire: To protect themselves
(to be in control of their own life and destiny).
- When Barrett is healthy, he is self-assertive, self-confident, and strong: standing up for what he need and want. Take initiative, make things happen: champion people, provider, protective, and honorable, carrying others with their strength.
- When Barrett is unhealthy, he is a brash, gruff man with a short temper and a tendency to curse. He becomes completely ruthless, dictatorial, “might makes right,” in order to defy control over him. We can see this as he commits terrorist acts against Shinra, killing innocent lives along the way.
Barrett identifies well with Tifa when he is healthy. He, like Tifa, is fighting for something – or more specifically someone – the Planet Gaia for Marlene’s future.
Barrett identifies well with Red XIII when he is unhealthy. Like Red XIII, tends to hold grudges against those who slight him or jeopardizes his daughter’s safety.
Barrett’s Wings are both 7 and 9. He incorporates the characters of both Yuffie (a Realist) and Aerith (a Referee) to balance his personality.
As Type Nine, Aerith Gainsborough is receptive, reassuring, agreeable, and complacent.
- Aerith’s basic fear: Of loss and separation.
- Aerith’s basic desire: To have inner stability “peace of mind”.
- When Aerith is healthy, she is deeply receptive, accepting, not self-conscious, emotionally stable and serene. She finally becomes empowered, she takes it upon herself to stop Sephiroth.
- When Aerith is unhealthy, she can be ineffectual. She feels incapable of facing problems: become obstinate, dissociating self from all conflicts.
Aerith identifies well with Cait Sith when she is healthy; she, like Cait Sith, finds her purpose and realizes the world needs her.
Aerith identifies well with Cid when she is unhealthy, in that she feels comfortably numb.
Aerith’s Wings are both 8 and 9. She incorporates the characters of both Barret (a Bear) and Vincent (an Idealist) to balance her personality.
|Ennegram||Character||Left Wing #||Left Wing Character||Right Wing #||Right Wing Character||Integration #||Integration Character||Disintegration #||Disintegration Character|
|1||Vincent Valentine||1w9||Aerith Gainsborough||1w2||Tifa Lockhart||7||Yuffie Kisaragi||4||Cloud Strife|
|2||Tifa Lockhart||2w1||Vincent Valentine||2w3||Cait Sith||4||Cloud Strife||8||Barrett Wallace|
|3||Cait Sith||3w2||Tifa Lockhart||3w4||Cloud Strife||6||Cid Highwind||9||Aerith Gainsborough|
|4||Cloud Strife||4w3||Cait Sith||4w5||Red XIII||1||Vincent Valentine||2||Tifa Lockhart|
|5||Red XIII||5w4||Cloud Strife||5w6||Cid Highwind||8||Barrett Wallace||7||Yuffie Kisaragi|
|6||Cid Highwind||6w5||Red XIII||6w7||Yuffie Kisaragi||9||Aerith Gainsborough||3||Cait Sith|
|7||Yuffie Kisaragi||7w6||Cid Highwind||7w8||Barret Wallace||5||Red XIII||1||Vincent Valentine|
|8||Barrett Wallace||8w7||Yuffie Kisaragi||8w9||Aerith Gainsborough||2||Tifa Lockhart||5||Red XIII|
|9||Aerith Gainsborough||9w8||Barrett Wallace||9w1||Vincent Valentine||3||Cait Sith||6||Cid Highwind|