Before Lightning, I used to have a major crush on Selphie Tilmitt. After scouring the net for all things Selphie, I came across this post. This is how I came to find Apsilanti84.
I wanted to know what Aspilanti84 thinks about one of my favorite characters.
Irvine: Sefie, wha’cha playin’!?
I guess this is an indication that Selphie’s prone to violence. It’s just a card game, Aspilanti84.
We’ve commonly thought that Selphie “keeps a cheerful front when really inside she is still trying to figure things out and come to terms with the trauma of her past” (thanks to /u/CplSlyboots for this analysis). We all know that Selphie has a dark sense of humor, sometimes displaying it in a way others are not comfortable with. However, she does a lot of things that might suggest a latent deviant disposition. I believe her enthusiasm for violence and destruction actually qualifies her as a sociopath.
Or, her enthusiasm for violence and destruction is what makes her perfect for mercenary.
First, what is a sociopath? A sociopath is “a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.”
This really doesn’t describe Selphie.
OK, but does this description accurately define Selphie’s personality?
According to the Macdonald Triad (also known as the triad of sociopathy) three behavioral characteristics, or any combination of the two, may be predictive of violent tendencies. They are:
- Cruelty to animals – In the D-District Prison: “We could always skin this little guy and wear him as a disguise.” “I’m kidding. I’m kidding.” (Doesn’t sound like you are.)
Let us explore Selphie’s mind using the twenty traits assessed by the PCL-R score (the Psychopathy Checklist):
- glib and superficial charm – “Everybody! LOVE. and. PEACE!”
- grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self – Did she really think she would enter a guarded missile base by simply charming her way in?
- need for stimulation – Selphie jumping straight down the cliff.
- pathological lying – “I’m kidding. I’m kidding.”
- cunning and manipulativeness – If you approach the Galbadian missile base on foot when it’s time for Selphie’s party to infiltrate instead of just driving up in the stolen vehicle, you’re treated to a scene of cute, sweet Genki Girl Selphie trying to wheedle the gate guard into letting her and her friends in:
Guard: “Hey! This is a maximum security area! You kids shouldn’t be here!”
Selphie: “I just wanna take a peek. Pretty pleeeeaase!?”
Guard: This isn’t some kinda club you can sweet talk your way into. Besides, you’re just a kid. I prefer someone more mature.
Selphie: Up yours!
- shallow affect / superficial emotional responsiveness
- parasitic lifestyle – Squall makes the money through his SeeD exams. Like the rest, Selphie spends it on new weapons. Combined with other traits, this is a dangerous consequences concerning her character.
- poor behavioral controls – Getting extremely jealous at Irvine to the point of intense anger (first we’ve seen ever, as her true colors are coming out). Also…“up yours!”
- sexual promiscuity – If you bring Selphie to Zell’s room, she sits on his bed and tells him he should be honored that a cute girl wants to be on his bed. If Squall agrees, she then replies “Squall, you are so getting it.” Plus…“it is perhaps due to reasons of decency involving her skirt that, if one is to Scan Selphie, her avatar cannot be rotated to view from below despite all other scan avatars being able to.” Oh, and this song from the missile base mission sounds like a porn song.
- early behavior problems – The orphanage.
- lack of realistic long-term goals – Garden festival? Seriously?
- impulsivity / irresponsibility – Banging on the missile launch keyboard.
After she shoots and blows a gigantic hole into Lunatic Pandora, while ramming the Ragnarok through said hole, she just sits there rocking back and forth in the pilot seat. This is what’s known as “auto-eroticism”, in which a person can achieve sexual climax without the aid of another human being.
This is a pretty interesting parallel about Selphie. But, it’s not the same.
In other words, Selphie is a sick fuck who gets off to this type of stuff. She may also stab someone when they aren’t looking.
I don’t think so.
TL;DR Selphie Tilmitt is an evil, demented, deranged and damaged sociopath, since she fits much of the criteria.
There’s much more depth to Selphie than she lets on. Selphie’s not the villain, so I can’t say this is the most accurate description of her.