Thanks to Schwahn for the inspiration.
In Japan (and other East Asian countries), blood type is predictive of personality, temperament, and compatibility with others. So whereas the West has Myer-Briggs, the Enneagram and Astrology, they also use physiological Blood Types.
Ever wondered why each character’s blood type was listed in Final Fantasy 7, for instance? They were trying to inform us about each character’s personality, temperament, and compatibility with others.
Here’s a description of each:
- Best traits: Earnest, sensible, reserved, patient, responsible
- Worst traits: Fastidious, overearnest, stubborn, tense
- Characters: Irvine Kinneas, Yuffie Kisaragi, Quistis Trepe, Vincent Valentine, Balthier
- Best traits: Passionate, active, doer, creative, strong
- Worst traits: Irresponsible, unforgiving, “going own way”
- Characters: Zell Dincht, Cid Highwind, Tifa Lockheart, Laguna Loire, Selphie Tilmitt, Vaan
- Best traits: Cool, controlled, rational, sociable, adaptable
- Worst traits: Critical, indecisive, forgetful, irresponsible, “split personality”
- Characters: Squall Leonhart, Cloud Strife, Lightning, Fran
- Best traits: Confident, self-determined, optimistic, strong-willed, intuitive
- Worst traits: Self-centered, cold, doubtful, unpredictable, “workaholic”
- Characters: Seifer Almasy, Aerith Gainsborough, Barret Wallace
I guess this makes sense, seeing blood is within the person. This is why the characters in the game act the way they do.
Terra Branford, Celes Chere, Rinoa Heartilly, Cait Sith, Mog, Gogo, Red XIII (Nanaki), Shadow, Sephiroth, Umaro have no blood types.
I’ll let you speculate as to why…