We know Knights of the Round as a recurring summon in the series. But what if they were actually the Zodiac Braves. There are at least twelve of them. But then again, could there be more?
So then, they’re twelve of them. Seems low-brow at first. That is until you consider they’re knights. From Ivalice? I know we tend to think that they’re King Arthur and the Knights of the Roundtable. However, the game never reveals the identity of these knights. Even the final knight, who wields Excalibur, might be King Arthur. But the sword Excalibur makes appearances in several Final Fantasy games, despite not mentioning the Arthurian stories. But from a Final Fantasy universe perspective, it would make more sense that these knights were the Zodiac Braves.
- The first knight attacks with a long sword that looks like Cloud’s Rune Blade.
- The second knight attacks with a lance.
- The third knight attacks with a rod and casts what looks like Fire magic.
- The fourth knight attacks with a mace.
- The fifth knight attacks with a long sword.
- The sixth knight attacks with a hammer.
- The seventh knight attacks with a wand and casts what looks like Blizzard magic.
- The eighth knight attacks with a trident.
- The ninth knight attacks with a staff and casts Comet on the target.
- The tenth knight attacks with a naginata.
- The eleventh knight attacks with a battle axe.
- The twelfth knight attacks with a sword.
- The thirteenth knight attacks with Excalibur.
They’re wielding Final Fantasy magics, and using magic. They’d more align with Ivalice than Great Britain. This would mean that the final knight is not King Arthur, but St. Ajora.
Those who had believed in Ajora and his miracles formed the Church of Glabados, believing that Ajora was truly a saint and that his miracles were the word of the gods. To further strengthen Ajora’s image, the Church of Glabados incorporated Saint Ajora into the legend of the Zodiac Braves. They claimed that Saint Ajora led the twelve Zodiac Braves against a demon summoned by the King of Limberry.
That is if you believe the Germoink Scriptures.
Now, they could be knights from a time earlier in Gaia’s history, Ivalice’s. Even if they were from Ivalice, how did they get to Gaia? Probably in a similar way Cloud came to Final Fantasy Tactics’ Ivalice…
After Ramza has defeated Zalmour Lucianada for the second time, Besrudio will come up with a dimensional portal device, but again he cannot activate it. A rumor will subsequently circulate about Zeltennia Castle. After hearing it, Ramza can journey to Nelveska Temple and defeat Construct 7. Reis will revert to human form (and must be accepted again by Ramza), and Ramza will gain another Auracite. Taking it to Besrudio will summon Cloud, who will run off.
For whatever reason, Besrudio’s machine could have to transport the Knights of the Round to Final Fantasy VII’s world. Why not, it seems like the Zodiac Brave’s became bound to the Zodiac Stones. The Zodiac Stones could function as Materia in Gaia: summoning heroes.
Or perhaps an inventor transported the Zodiac Braves to Gaia during the time of Jenova’s attacks. Did they fight the evil them, saving that world and the Cetra?