Here’s a forum game you can start on your favorite Final Fantasy forum, based on the Final Fantasy IX mini game Chocobo Hot ‘n’ Cold:
Chocobo Hot and Cold (ここほれ!チョコボ, Kokohore! Chokobo?, lit. Dig here! Chocobo!) is a sidequest and minigame in Final Fantasy IX. It is regarded as the game’s biggest sidequest, spanning a number of locations across the world map and being the means to unveiling a number of new locations otherwise unvisitable. The minigame itself appears in two forms, one played in chocobo forests, and one played on the world map.
I wondered how to visualize the way this mini game could be represented in a forum. Exactly how can members start and play this mini game while hiding information in a visible thread. It was a challenge, but I think I was able to come up with a way to make this mini game work in a forum setting. Thanks to those who wanted clarification on how to play this amazing game! I hope this helps.
- In a comment, write a Final Fantasy related spoiler (i.e. megaelixir) anyway your forum allows to hide information.
- Members will essentially “dig” around by commenting on what the spoiler might be.
- The original prize giver – the topic starter – (and others who might see the answer but aren’t participating in that specific comment) can reply either “hot” or “cold” to point the participant(s) in the right direction in this manner:
- Kweh: Nothing
- Kweh!?: Far away (vaguely sense something)
- Kwehhh!?: Close (almost there)
- K-KWEHHH!!!: Found something. (I GOT IT!!!)
The person with the correct answer wins the “prize” in the spoiler of the thread.
[hide] Megaelixir [/hide]
[hide] Tifa [/hide]
[hide] Forgotten Continent [/hide]
[hide] Excalibur [/hide]
[hide] Ragnarok [/hide]
(You can add as many spoilers as you want, but five is a pretty good number.)
For one of these spoilers, the member could guess…
- They say: “Cloud?” (You or others say: Kweh)
- They say: “Potion?” (You or others say: Kweh!?)
- They say: “Elixir” (You or others say: Kwehhh!?)
- They say: “Megaelixir” (You or others say: K-KWEHHH!!!)
MegaElixir is one of the correct answers. “K-KWEHHH!!!” signifies the correct response.
- No cheating. Don’t look at the spoiler if you are trying to answer. Even if you do peek on accident, just don’t guess.
- One guess per post. You can only dig around in one spot at a time after all.
- No bashing others; the prize isn’t in their self-esteem 😀
- Don’t chastise a correct answer.
- Don’t throw anyone off.
- You may provide an initial hint if you want.
- You can put as many spoilers as you want, but 5 should be good enough.
- The spoiler doesn’t have to be an item, it could be a weapon, a character, etc. from any Final Fantasy game.
You can ask anyone you want, but they have a right to not respond. And you can be both the prize giver and the hint giver, but don’t answer your own post. Give others a chance. And be glad time won’t be up in the middle of digging.
And while you play, for your listening pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6w7atxi0BI