We all profess to be this type of fan:
The Open Minded Fans: Those who judge the games for what they are. Not what they think they should be. These fans are Final Fantasy disease free. They don’t follow the popular opinion of the community.
But in reality, we all have the Final Fantasy disease. Even Tabata.
And we’re one of these types of Final Fantasy fans:
- The Amano Traditionalists: These fans dislike the often anime feel of the series. They opt for the more classical route (medieval, turn based, etc).
- The Nomura Progressives: These fans believe Final Fantasy VII was the best thing to the series. They cite Nomura’s style as a key shift.
- Matsuno Supporters: These fans swear by Matsuno’s designs and his Ivalice world. (thanks superwisemon)
- Toriyama Apologists: These fans wish for the grand return of Final Fantasy IX’s whimsical style. (thanks kaboomspleesh)
- SquareSoft Originals: These fans believe the franchise took a turn for the worst after SquareSoft merged with Enix.
- True Story Adherents: These fans believe in the face value of each story. They’re maintain the “purity of text” and generally dislikes alternative theories, fan-fiction, analysis, etc.
- Series Analysers: These fans are willing to take a deeper look at the series. They generally introspect about what the original text “really means” in relation to philosophy, psychology, literary analysis, etc.
- Theory Builders: These fans believe in far fetched interpretations of each story, and generally produce/consume alternative theories, fan-fiction, etc.
We’re all guilty. Some of us are more than one. None are bad. What we need is more appreciation of each person’s viewpoint.
Seriously, if you’re one of these fans, be proud. I’m definitely a fan of Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X, XIII, XV, and Dissidia. And I like looking deeper into the theories.
Which type of fan are you? And what are you a fan of?